Before you get started, here’s a summary of the information included in the Leap Zine – The Blog Setup Guide:
- Step One: How to select your domain name and register it
- Step Two: What you need to know about web hosting; the process of creating the foundation for your blog information
- Step Three: How To Install WordPress
- Step Four: How to configure WordPress to build your blog
Now, are you ready to get started? Great!
The Leap Zine – Blogging Section has been created to make it very easy to create a standard blog without a lot of expenses. Make sure you grab a notebook and pen handy to take note of these crucial points.
To create a blog, you MUST have these four things:
- A registered domain name for your blog: www.yourdomain.com OR www.yourdomain.ca, http://www.yourdomain.co.uk, and www.yourdomain.co.uk
- A web hosting account to connect your blog to the Internet
- The WordPress blogging platform to provide the structure for your blog
- Information (text, pictures and/or videos) for your blog pages
You could register your domain name separately from your web hosting account, but that really isn’t necessary. In this guide, you will be able to register your domain name at the same time as you sign-up for your web hosting.
Sign Up BlueHost.com
Use WordPress – Easy As Pie!
There are also many blogging applications you could use. I recommend using WordPress because it’s the best known blogging application and even the easiest to use. WordPress is very flexible and has many features that you can use to enhance your blog after you have it set up.
The information for your blog is where you will have to spend the most time. Take some time and think carefully about the text and images that you want to use.
The easiest way to get your blog up and running with content is to organize all of the information about your business into sections. If your blog is about a particular subject, make sure that you research it thoroughly and write it clearly, like you are talking to your best friend.
The most crucial thing to remember about your content is that it must be original. Any information that you get from another website must be re-written in your own words to avoid problems. You also need to be careful to use only images that you make yourself or that are copyright free.
Domain Name – What’s Next?
Now that you know the essential things that you need to create your blog, how do you put it all together? There are four basic steps after you have registered your domain name and confirmed your web hosting account.